Tooth-Color Fillings – Wayne, PA
Your Invisible Cavity Solution
Over 90% of people will develop a cavity at some point in their lives, and fortunately, fixing them is now easier than ever here at Wayne Family Dentistry. Instead of using traditional amalgam fillings that always leave a dark, silvery blob on your tooth and look unnatural, we’re now able to provide a more aesthetically-friendly option: tooth-colored fillings.
What are tooth-colored fillings made of?
As opposed to a combination of mercury, silver, tin, and copper in amalgam fillings, tooth-colored fillings are actually made of a composite resin material. This compound consist of plastic and fine ceramic particles and is biocompatible, which means that it bonds very well to your natural tooth structure. It comes in several natural shades, so our team can match a filling to your enamel color, making it practically invisible within your mouth.
What are the benefits of tooth-colored fillings over amalgam fillings?
Although amalgam fillings are durable and last a long time, they certainly have downsides, many of which tooth-colored fillings address. Because composite resin adheres seamlessly with your natural tooth, this kind of filling has several advantages over it amalgam counterpart, including:
- It is much more pleasing to the eye. In fact, no one will be able to tell that you had a cavity in the first place.
- It requires less tooth structure to be removed, preserving more of your natural tooth.
- It supports and strengthens the natural tooth structure.
How are tooth-colored fillings placed?
When you have a cavity, we take care of it by following this process:
- One of our experienced dentists will numb the affected area with a local anesthetic.
- Then, they will remove any decayed portion of your tooth, making sure it is free from bacteria.
- They’ll apply and shape the composite resin to replace it.
- A curing light will help the resin harden more quickly.
- Then the dentist will perform final adjustments to the filling, making it smooth and ensuring your bite feels comfortable.
The entire procedure is painless and can be completed in just one easy appointment.
Do tooth-colored fillings require special care?
Luckily, tooth-colored fillings need the exact same care as your natural teeth, meaning that you need to maintain healthy oral habits such as:
- Brushing your teeth twice every day.
- Flossing your teeth once a day.
- Visiting your dentist in Wayne twice every year for checkups and cleanings.
For additional protection against future cavities and to help ensure that your fillings last as long as possible, you can also implement the following habits into your lifestyle:
- Reducing your sugar intake.
- Drinking more water.
- Using a fluoride mouthwash daily.
If you or your child has a cavity that needs attention, we can take care of it right away and make it look like it was never there with a tooth-colored filling. Our compassionate team at Wayne Family Dentistry is committed to helping you keep your smile happy and healthy for many years to come. To schedule an appointment, contact us today!